A minimum unit price for alcohol has come into force in Scotland.
The Scottish government believes it will reduce the harm caused by excessive drinking – leading to fewer hospital admissions and alcohol-related deaths.
• It was difficult to get up today. There was a lot of booze at last night’s party.
• Too much boozing can lead to serious health problems
calls time on
announces the end of an activity
• Neil’s called time on using the internet. He’s had enough of it.
• Environmentalists say we have to call time on fossil fuels.
day of reckoning
a time when you have to deal with a past mistake
• Catherine had a day of reckoning with her garden after the weeds started to take over.
• Some people say social media’s day of reckoning will happen soon.
[Images: GETTY IMAGES]
Find out more http://www.bbc.co.uk/learningenglish/english/course/newsreview/unit-1/session-36
Do you want to learn how to speak English? Then join us here on YouTube for great grammar, drama, news, study, pronunciation, vocabulary, music, interviews and celebrity videos. Every day we have a new video to help you with English. We also produce regular ‘extra’ videos across the week so come back every day to see what’s new.
MONDAY: The English We Speak
TUESDAY: News Review
TUESDAY: English At Work
THURSDAY: 6 Minute English
FRIDAY: The Experiment (watch this space for new and exciting content that we are trying out!)
We like receiving and reading your comments – please use English when you comment.
For more videos and content that will help you learn English, visit our website: http://www.bbclearningenglish.com